Saturday, October 15, 2011

Songs

The artifact above is a copy of two songs I used while teaching a second grade math unit on addition and subtraction strategies. The students were having trouble remembering mathematical terms like “addend”, “sum”, and “difference” so I used this song in the classroom. We would sing these songs about addition to the tune “Are You Sleeping” before we started math each day.

Because I believe that using numerous instruction styles will improve performance skills, I will use songs to help enforce and reteach concepts.

Using these songs was very effective in helping students remember mathematical terms that they were struggling with. Singing about core curriculum with students has always been very successful for me. I realize that students tend to remember things better when they are incorporated into a catchy tune or chant, plus, they have a lot of fun with it! I still have every state in the United States memorized in alphabetical order because of a song I learned in 4th grade! I also remember multiplication songs that I learned in elementary school as well! I will definitely continue to use and develop songs in the future to help my students remember core curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment